The Chemex brewer is a classic choice for those who appreciate both form and function in their coffee-making process. This guide is tailored for an 8-cup Chemex unit and will help you master the art of brewing with this iconic device.
Equipment You'll Need
- 8-Cup Chemex carafe
- Chemex filters
- Digital scale
- Stir Stick
- Prep and Preheat: Place the Chemex filter in the brewer and rinse it with hot water to seal it and remove any paper taste. Dump the rinse water.
- Weigh and Grind Coffee: Add 42g or about 6 tablespoons of coffee, ground to a coarseness resembling Kosher salt.
- Saturate Grounds: Start the timer and pour hot water until all the grounds are saturated or until you reach about 150g. Stir with a stir stick to eliminate dry clumps.
- Second Pour: At 45 seconds, start the second pour, aiming for a volume about a fingertip down from the top of the rim or 450g of water.
- Final Pour: At 1:45, fill the brewer flush to the top or about 700g of water.
- Wait for It to Brew: By 4 minutes, you should be close to the desired volume. Lift the filter and let it drain.